Saturday, February 9, 2013

From the Attic: The day I lost the Majestic Wilderlands

Over on Zenopus Archives, there is a post about the brown dice found in the original Marsh/Cook Expert Set. Zach relates a story about how they were playing in the car and the father took a u turn too fast and the dice went flying out the open window.

I had a similar experience except I nearly lost the Majestic Wilderland and all my AD&D material.

My first car was a Dodge Polara, a year younger than me and older than my friends Dwayne and Tim.



To say it had issues is putting it mildly. If I took a tight corner the entire electric system would flicker which was very disconcerting at night. One virtue the car had was it was huge. Big enough for a brief smuggling career when two of my friend got into the trunk and I drove them into the County Fair past the admissions gate.  I could pack all my gaming stuff in the back seat along with room left over for friends to ride along.

Anyway in the middle of my hometown there is Diamond Square which is a oval park with a main road around it. Well one day with Tim and Dwayne in the car I was driving to run a game at another friend's house and I had to go around the Diamond. Well I took it too fast, the door flew open and my milk crates full of Majestic Wilderlands notes, miniatures, and gamebooks was ejected from the car.

Luckily the milk crates, they were the wooden kind, were tough and nothing important was lost. It was more embarrassing than anything else.

4 comments:

Gothridge Manor said...

I saw this post and immediately started to laugh. It was a blizzard of gaming papers. Everywhere. Running around the street and into the park grabbing as much of at as we could.

Anonymous said...

Ha ha ha!

Lead Legion said...

Milk crates! I should hope that if you still have all you're original Judges Guild stuff you have it suitably protected in a hermetically sealed vault pumped full of nuetral gasses?

Anonymous said...

I still have mine. The brown dice came from my Basic Set and my Blue dice from the Expert.