Monday, April 1, 2013

A sales suggestion for OSR Publishers

So I went to one of my favorite game stores to sell copies of Bat in the Attic products. Sadly he wouldn't buy any as nothing is selling for tabletop roleplaying games except Paizo Pathfinder products. He was quite apologetic as he bought from me numerous times in the past. What was selling was causal boardgames like Munchkin and Settlers of Catan.

So Bummer and while we was talking about the recent Worldwide Tabletop Day, he mentioned Free RPG. That got me think and I just gave him the three copies I had to throw in the Free RPG Day pile. Then when driving home I realized that Hey!  I could do this for all the other game stores I am in contact with.

The downside of Free RPG is it requires a sizable print run at a considerable cost, for us OSR publishers, to get a product in there. The advantage is that is goes to every store on that list. But it doesn't have to be an all or nothing affair. The cost of say 15 copies of a print on demand book for the author is often very affordable allowing him to go to the gamestores that knows him and ask to see if they would include it in their Free RPG pile of stuff. Just be polite and prepared for a no. And remember to put in a flyer or card with how interested customers can find your Internet store.  For example this OSR Primer I made.

When you are in Phoenix Arizona stop by the Imperial Outpost and see if we can boost the sales of Tabletop RPGS. The owner is a nice guy and very knowledgable about gaming.

3 comments:

SavageCheerleader said...

This is something that I have been battling for the last few years. If it it is not Pathfinder, people are refusing to even try the game. I have no idea why or how this happened, but it is frustrating to say the least. I am part of a meetup for gamers, and we have...five gaming groups in our 20 mile radius. Guess how many are PF? Yeah. I even run one-shots of other systems, and I basically shame people into coming.

I was told recently that it is a mystery as to why I think skills and feats are holding back imagination...

Anonymous said...

I wonder if the continuing roll out of new rule sets contributes to this? I personally don't mind the bazillion retroclones, but it seems like it might make OSR gaming products unattactive for for brick & mortar game stores (and their consumers).

Epicmmo said...

Really i appreciate the effort you made to share the knowledge.The topic here i found was really effective to the topic which i was researching for a long time.Buy WoW accounts