Thursday, June 11, 2015

Do you have a lucky or unlucky dice? Well you can now Check it for sure.

Daniel Fisher has figured out how to use a old trick to see if a golf ball is balanced to see how lucky or unlucky his dice are.


+Tim Shorts had a d20 called Whimpy that always came through for him. I wonder how it would fare in this test.

This came in handy for him one time when he had a fighter named Slice Handler. We were playing ADnD 1st edition with Unearthed Arcana. Slice's main trick was to use the weapon specialization rules to throw a hail storm of daggers. I played a vanilla magic-user named Thil the Cowled.

As things shook out in the campaign, we wound up in my friend's +Dwayne Gillingham's modified X5 Temple of Death. For a long time this module was the end goal of his campaigns, and nobody had beaten it until Slice and Thil got there.

We got to the final room where on a altar was the Hand and Eye of Vecna. Thil went dark side, maimed himself, and affixed the eye and hand to himself. He ordered Slice to submit and when he didn't a PC vs PC fight ensued. Thil had the upper hand but Slice was dealing damage as well. So it came down to a round where Slice had a handful of hit points and was seemly out of options. See Whimpy had an Achilles Heel in that it was great for to-hit rolls it was terrible for making saving throws.

Tim resigned himself to another failure at conquering the Temple of Death when he looked at some notes on his characters. He grew excited and confirmed the details with Dwayne. Apparently he had a magical earring in the shape of a dagger. It would grow into a full size dagger if he threw it.

Armed with this final chance and of course Tim's legendary dice Whimpy, he threw the dagger. He got what he needed to hit and downed Thil. Tim sighed in relief as finally one of his character conquered the Temple of Death.


7 comments:

Gothridge Manor said...

Just so you know that final hit against Thil was a critical. And that dagger earring was the only damn magic item I got in the campaign.

Chris C. said...

Wow. That is a cool test. I may have to go try that...

jedavis said...

I've got this green d20 that my players always want to borrow for their saves vs poison/death... it has yet to fail one of them when so loaned. Might have to try this on it.

Thiles Targon said...

@Tim - Wait, you forgot about the only magic item your character had???

BRGHagen said...

This is incredibly interesting. I have a ton of opaque dice sets that I roll terribly with. I'm sure they will prove to be very unbalanced. Though, I do also have a set of precision dice that I have managed to consistently roll terribly with. But, unbalanced dice are tangible so I'll just blame my bad rolls on that.

Unknown said...

I Suspect that Roll20's random dice generator is weighted. Either that, or my ability to get lucky rolls when needed doesn't translate to the internet. Over the years, I've had a lot of dice. I'm thinking ignorance is bliss on this one.

Unknown said...

After this week's session, I'm convinced that Rob's roll20 dice are hax and mine are terrible.